
Hola todos! I've been in Quito for just over a week and I am slowly adjusting to life here. I live in the Northern part of Quito very close to the soccer stadium. My host family is wonderful. My host parents, Cecilia and Hernan, are both biochemists. Hernan works as a professor and Cecilia runs the family lab which is just down the street from my house. They have four children, but only the youngest and oldest live at the house. The oldest, Adolfo, is a plastic surgeon who just returned from training in Argentina and is trying to establish himself in Quito so he lives at my house with his wife, Judi, and two adorable children, Michaela (pictured above) is two and a half and Jose Matias, a very happy 5 month old. It is nice to have a family and a home to return to after classes.
Aside from life at mi casa, classes at the University started last week. La Universidad de San Francisco Quito is so beautiful! The entire campus has open hallways which overlook small grassy courtyards. Thankfully the campus is small so I know my way around pretty well. The University is actually located in Cumbaya, which is about 40 minutes by bus from Quito, in the next valley over. It has taken me a few days to adjust to the commute, but I have begun to enjoy the time on the bus to people watch or simply take in the gorgeous mountains which surround Quito on all sides. I am currently enrolled in five classes at the university: three public health classes (global health, occupational health, and a community health practicum), Andean Anthropology, and an Ecuadorian short story class. Thus far, they all seem incredibly interesting and challenging, especially the public health classes. My fellow public health classmates have all already started their professional lives so I am a bit intimidated by them!
Last weekend I went on my first Ecuadorian excursion. I packed a picnic with a few new friends (including a fellow Ambassadorial Scholar) and we ventured out to the Teleferico. The Teleferico is a cable car ride that takes passengers up to an elevation of 4050 m and overlooks the entire city of Quito. Although it was freezing at the top, the view was breath taking. For now, it is time for class again. I miss everyone and hope to hear from you soon!!!!con amor, priyanka
5 comments:
Yay! I am so glad you are settling in! Enjoy your stay and i will continue to "blog stalk" you. This is so exciting! Be safe, <3 Alyssa
Aw Pri, I'm so happy you made it safe and sound! Reading your blog made me so nostalgic for my USFQ days... It really is such a beautiful campus. You should try the Pearl Milk Tea at the Chinese restaurant (if it still exists) in that line of stores across from the University (where the cell phone store is). Who do you have for Andean Anthropology? I took that class and had Susana Andrade... Small world, eh? Good luck with everything and keep having an awesome time
Much Love,
Marissa
Priyanka, we are so proud of you and interested in all that you are experiencing. Thanks for sharing with us! Ray and Linda
Umtisha, you are so freakin' cool
Priyanka,
Finally got caught up and read your posts - thanks so much for sharing with all of us - don't stop!
Un fuerte abrazo,
Jim
Post a Comment